A few days ago, we took a drive to the mountains for the first time as a family of three. We decided to do a mini day trip to Canmore for lunch, shopping, and a tad of exploring.
(Sidenote: I can’t believe our baby boy is 16 months old and we hadn’t made the trek yet considering the mountains are right in our backyard.)
Our Afternoon Itinerary:
12pm – We hit the road. (Yup…bit of a late start to the day but Luke is the best sleeper. He sleeps in till 8am or 9am almost every day. It still takes us 3 hours to get of the house because I pack everything imaginable as a first time mum.)
12:15pm – My husband has to get a Tim’s coffee for the drive.
12:20pm – Luke is napping again so this counts as his afternoon nap…
1:20pm – We arrive in Canmore and have lunch at Murrieta’s Bar & Grill (737 8th St., Canmore, AB). Great service, good food with a view of the mountains.
2:20pm – We finish lunch in record time before Luke attempts to yell and wants out of the highchair. People ask us in the restaurant if he is always this good (sigh), my husband and I high five. (Parenting win for the day!)
2:25pm – We shop.
Here are some of our favourite shops in Canmore (that are stroller friendly):
- The Tin Box – The best knick knack shop offering accessories, stationary, home decor, kitchen tools and utensils, and other odds and ends. The Tin Box moved and their new space is awesome. It has a modern glass front entrance with floor to ceiling windows spanning across the store, and it’s attached to an old house on top. Very cool space!
- Rocky Mountain Soap Shop (#820 8th Street, Canmore, AB) – I can’t go by a RMSS without stopping in and getting a Baby Bum Balm. I stockpile them. My girlfriend gifted me one when I had Luke and I’m fully obsessed. It is the nicest smelling, all natural diaper cream for your baby’s tush. I refuse to use anything else.
- Hi Jinx Toy Shop (#712 8th Street, Canmore, AB) – Our first visit to the toy shop in Canmore but I’m sure it won’t be our last. Luke plays for at least 20min with the display items. They have nice quality toys, games, and puzzles. The prices seem to be on par with Mastermind Toys.
- Old Tyme Candy Shoppe (#717 8th Street, Canmore, AB) – Every time we are in a mountain town we hit a candy shop but never buy anything. And, every time my husband and I have to point out to each other all the weird candy we liked as a child. It never gets old and we both act so surprised (and sometimes grossed out) with each others’ picks.
- Stonewaters Home Elements (638 Main Street, Canmore, AB) – Definitely my favourite store in Canmore. They have beautiful rustic furniture and home decor.
- Indigo Bay (#8 801 Main Street, Canmore, AB) – This is about as trendy as you’re getting in Canmore without being a sporting goods store. They have clothing, shoes, and accessories!
- Canary Frozen Yogurt & Coffee (710 Main Street, Canmore, AB) – This cute place is Tutti Frutti meets Phil & Sebastian (with the P&S decor). I have the eggnog frozen yogurt with a dollop of chocolate peppermint frozen yogurt on top and a teeny tiny sprinkle of Skor bits and Oreo crumble. Perfection.
3:45pm – That’s all we have time for so back in the car and heading home. My husband takes us on a little detour out on the ice…
4:15pm – Back in the car and heading home.
5:15pm – Home.
If you’re ever in Canmore you’ll want to check out those places!