This week marked my 20 weeks of pregnancy with bebe no. 2…which really means it’s officially time to crack out the maternity clothes! The Bellaband just isn’t doing the trick anymore when my pants are fully unzipped and I’m having to chase an 18 month old down the block. For this pregnancy I plan on wearing a lot of the clothes I bought 2 years ago with a few new additions to freshen up my looks. (I will say – it’s definitely helpful and a $$$ saver when you are pregnant during the exact same seasons again!) I have put together a guide on where to shop for the best maternity clothes if you live in Calgary or if you’re more of an online shopper. Check out my favourites below…
Gap Jean Jacket (similar) // Isabella Oliver Maternity Scoop Neck from Ella Bella // J.Crew necklace (similar) // H&M Ribbed Knee Skinny Jeans (similar here and here and here) // Halogen ‘Turner’ Slip-On Sneaker
My Favourite Maternity Shops in Calgary:
- Ella Bella Maternity Boutique – 286-10816 Macleod Trail SE – Ella Bella was my go-to store for my first pregnancy and definitely will be again!! It’s an awesome boutique situated in Willow Park Village with staff that are hands-on and can actually help you find what’s going to work for your body. They offer maternity clothes, nursing apparel, postpartum shapewear, plus size items, bags, skin care, and baby clothes and accessories. A lot of the items they carry make for a nice selection of gift ideas too.
When I was pregnant the first time, they introduced me to my FAVOURITE maternity brand – Isabella Oliver. This line is slightly more expensive but it’s excellent quality. I invested in a few Isabella Oliver tops and dresses and I’m so excited to be able to wear them again. The fabric and fit is everything.
You can just tell all the items in Ella Bella are carefully selected to make it easy for the new mumma, the seasoned mumma, and the friend that needs a baby shower gift asap. Check them out and stay up to date on Instagram. They’re always having great sales! If you’re more of an online shopper, check out their site. Free shipping on orders over $75!!
- Posh Mommy – 102-2120 Kensington Road NW – Posh Mommy is another great boutique to shop at if you live in the north end of the city. They have a nice space that offers maternity clothes, nursing clothes, postpartum items, baby accessories, diaper bags, and bath and body care.
I had an emergency c-section with Luke and I haven’t quite figured out my “birth plan” this time around. If I have another c-section, I may have to invest in this recovery kit.
- Baby & Me Maternity (Consignment Shop) – 207-4625 Varsity Drive NW – Baby & Me Maternity offers the best of both worlds because they have gently used clothes (within the last 2 years) and brand new. If you want maternity designer wear but don’t want to pay full price you’ll want to take a look.
- Nordstrom Calgary – Chinook Mall – Nordstrom does not carry a maternity section in-store but with their alterations department you can pretty much tailor anything to accommodate the bump. I did this with a couple of their non-maternity dresses and just sized up. The great thing about this option is they can reverse it back for you after baby!
My Go-To Online Maternity Shops:
- ASOS – This is definitely a convenient online option with a huge selection of items ranging in all price points.
- Ani + Wren – This great boutique out of Toronto has a selection of pieces that can be worn before, during, and after pregnancy for the fashion conscious mum. They also carry great bags, shoes, and accessories along with some trendy baby clothes. They’re a definite must to check out! They have a fun Instagram account too mixed with a little celeb news (my fave!) to keep it interesting.
- H&M – Not all H&M locations carry a maternity section so online is probably easiest. (I know the downtown Core Shopping location does.) This is where I bought all my jeans and work pants for under $60.
- Gap – Just like H&M, not many Gap locations carry a maternity section anymore so I shop online for this brand. During my first pregnancy, I bought a few loungewear essentials from here like yoga pants, sweatshirts, and tanks. Gap is always great for sales, free shipping on orders over $50, and easy returns!
- Hudson’s Bay – Top Shop – Offering affordable, trendy maternity wear so you can add some staple pieces to your wardrobe.
- Nordstrom – Of course they have an amazing maternity selection to choose from online as well!
Where to get the best nursing bra?
All the boutiques mentioned above carry excellent options for nursing bras; however, if you’re looking for something more specific you might want to check out…
- Knickers ‘N Lace – 208-10816 Macleod Trail SE – The ladies that work in this shop really make you feel comfortable. They will make sure you are fitted properly so that you can look and feel your best when going through the highs and lows of nursing.
Shop Smart Tip: Did you know that Nordstrom Calgary can turn almost any bra they stock into a nursing bra for you? It really just comes down to the thickness of the straps…but basically they will alter any bra of your choice through their alterations department for approx. $14 CAD + bra.
Don’t stress about your new curves, embrace them! Make shopping for maternity clothes an enjoyable experience because it’s such a short lived time in your life that you can’t get back! Plus – it’s an excuse to do a little shopping and revamp the wardrobe…guilt-free. Happy Shopping!!