As we get close in celebrating Canada’s 150th anniversary this weekend I’ve selected some of my favourite Canadian themed products that work great as a hostess gift for the July 1st party you’re attending or as a cottage hostess gift this summer. I’ve also included some ‘Shop Smart Tips’ if you’re looking for more ideas to pair these items with.
- Rocky Mountain Soap Co. – Canada 150 Feature Soap – This soap smells delicious just like birthday cake and is mixed with a hint of minty essential oils making for a sweet yet refreshing bar of soap. What I love about Rocky Mountain Soap’s feature product for Canada’s 150th is that for every bar you buy they’re donating $1 to the Nature Conservancy of Canada, plus it’s red and white for the occasion!
Shop Smart Tip: Pair this practical hostess gift with some cute hand towels from HomeSense and you’ll be all set for under $25!
2. Indigo Toronto Jumbo Journal – These city journals make for a great gift because they’re a good size, durable, spiral bound, and have thick sheets for writing. It’s a fun gift if you know what the host’s favourite Canadian city is.
Shop Smart Tip: Pair this journal with a mug and box of tea! Your friend will love curling up with a hot drink and their new notebook to journal in.
3. The Drake General Store – Aborist – Tea Towel Provinces – I love receiving a unique set of tea towels and can never have too many in the kitchen. It’s always a treat to pull out special ones for certain times of the year. These tea towels are the perfect gift for the home or cottage.
Shop Smart Tip: Pair these tea towels with a set of appetizer plates and a nice liquid dish detergent. You could even gift the tea towels with your favourite hand pump soap and lotion for their kitchen sink.
4. Hudson’s Bay – Tuck Shop Co. – City of Neighbourhoods Hat – I love Tuck Shop Co’s hats as a way to pay homage to your favourite Canadian city or neighbourhood. The unisex hats work great as a hostess gift! They also carry tees, swimwear, sweatshirts, sweaters, and accessories.
Shop Smart Tip: Pair this hat with a fun beverage to take over to a party. These hats can really be worn all year round especially on those cold Canadian nights at the cottage.
5. ‘Happiest at the Lake’ by Little Blue Canoe – Little Blue Canoe’s sweatshirts are so cozy and work well for the cottage loving family. This cute phrase also comes in art prints, kids’ clothes, dog bandanas, and tank tops. Little Blue Canoe also makes other clothing that says – “Happiest in the Mountains”, “Happiest Being Canadian”, and “Happiest by the Ocean” depending on what suits your style.
6. The Drake General Store – Lighthouse Rock Coaster – The clean, minimalist design of these coasters is a nice choice especially when you’re gifting them because they work with different decor. I like the idea of mixing and matching a few styles too like this one and this one to make a set of 4.
Shop Smart Tip: Pair the coasters with outdoor acrylic glasses from HomeSense, a bottle of wine or sparkling water, or even crackers and cheese.
7. Moon & Sparrow – Alberta Print – One of my favourite things is beautiful Canadian artwork created in watercolour. My sister recently just gifted me a few prints from Moon & Sparrow for the baby’s nursery and I’m in love with them. The prints are so soft looking and work with any home décor because of their simple yet sophisticated depictions of Canadian provinces. They’re a perfect gift idea to celebrate Canada’s 150th Birthday too!
Shop Smart Tip: Gift one print or multiple prints and frame them as a special hostess gift! They would look beautiful in a hallway, living room, dining room, bathroom, or even hung at the cottage.
8. The Drake General Store – Canada Pennant – I love these varsity-style pennants as a way to make a hangout space more fun! The pennants are awesome décor for a garage, rec room, boathouse, or hung somewhere in the cottage to rep Canada. They also come in individual provinces like this cute Alberta pennant or a multi-pack box set.
Shop Smart Tip: Pair these flags with your favourite maple syrup, gift basket, or case of drinks for a party!
9. Hudson’s Bay Company Multi Stripe Canvas Tote – You can’t go wrong with the classic Hudson’s Bay print in a sturdy fabric tote bag. Fill the bag with treats and use it as a hostess gift for a cottage weekend getaway or July 1st party.
Shop Smart Tip: Fill the tote bag with nuts, crackers, popcorn, wine or sparkling water. You could even add a beach towel and a case of LaCroix.
Hope everyone has a great July 1st however you’ll be celebrating!