For those that are new around here, I’ve been doing a monthly series for the past 10 months called – What’s in My Cart? I post our family’s favourite monthly finds and what we are loving. I like to include a mix of 5-15 items relating to men and women’s fashion, baby/toddler style and gear, skincare, food, home décor, and other household items that are totally worth reviewing. It changes from month to month and depends on the season and what we’re up to but I truly hope that by sharing the products we like they will provide you with shopping inspiration, recommendations and tips for your day to day needs. So here we go…
Another month has passed in the blink of an eye and before we know it Christmas will be here. When looking back on October it was full of new routines, a few new clothes, and lots of new safer skincare and cosmetic products that I’m loving, using daily and want to share with all of you.
- Swim Kids Calgary – First and foremost, let’s talk about drowning and the importance of swimming lessons when it comes to young children. This has been one of my worst fears since having children. I’ve declined birthday parties in the past if I knew I would be solo with the two boys because I was nervous to take them in by myself. I’ve declined events by the lake if I had to juggle both boys because I was worried they’d wander off on me. When it comes to the kids, swimming lessons has always been a top priority! I hunted around and tried to find classes that would teach my children to properly float and/ swim unassisted but they weren’t what I was looking for. I wanted real results and to feel confident in their ability at the end of the program. And then a friend recommended Holly at Swim Kids Calgary and her survival swim lessons. I’ve never been so amazed and in awe of what my sweet babies can do in the water at 16 months and 3 years old, thanks to the owner Holly. I signed them up at the end of October and the boys have almost finished up their 5+ week session. We have about another week to go and then I will share all about our experience, from start to finish, and answer any questions you might have about the process. Feel free to ask questions comments below and I will include them in the blog post. Stay tuned…
- Beautycounter – Resurfacing Peel – If you’re looking to integrate safer products into your routine, you need to try Beautycounter. They ban over 1,500 chemicals and questionable ingredients from their personal care products. Beautycounter also advocates for stricter government regulations in the beauty industry. Their mission is “to get safer products into the hands of everyone”. I’ve always tried to go as clean and safe as possible but what makes Beautycounter different is they’re actually transparent in every ingredient they disclose unlike some of the other brands I thought were on the up and up and ended up having hidden fragrances or “natural” ingredients. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Beautycounter’s products are not only safer but they’re also extremely high performing, like the overnight resurfacing peel. It has 15 botanically-derived acids that hydrate and protect the skin while improving skin texture, the appearance of pores, fine lines, and dark spots. You wake up to a brighter, youthful glow. Shop it here.
- Jaybird X3 In-Ear Bluetooth Headphones – These ear buds by Jaybird are a nice choice if you want a wireless option. My husband has been using them for over a month to workout after going through some other pairs. They’re sweat proof, comfortable, hold a charge, and have good sound quality.
- Beautycounter – Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion – This is my new go-to face moisturizer of choice. What’s nice about this is it’s lightweight and it adjusts your hydration levels for the day so you don’t feel too dry or too greasy. Shop it here.
- Seven Saints – Free People Break Away Pullover – Seven Saints is a great women’s fashion boutique for all things chic, comfortable, and trendy. They opened up their first beautiful flagship store in Airdrie, Alberta but also still run their convenient mobile shop too if you’ve seen it pop-up at various events and markets. If you’re looking for some fabulous coats, sweaters, blazers, jeans, joggers, dresses, tops, bags, accessories and giftable items – go here! Use code ‘theshopguide15‘ for 15% off your purchase online or in-store. When I visited Jen and Erin, owners of Seven Saints, last month I had the opportunity to shop some their selection and cool brands like Pink Martini, Jackson Rowe, Free People, Dex, Mink Pink, Mac the Label, and Sol Sana. I had been on the hunt for a top in this canary yellow/mustard colour so this Free People sweater had to come home with me.
- Beautycounter – Concealer Pen – The Beautycounter concealer pen is one of my favourite’s from their cosmetic line. I use light. It has a click-pen design and brush applicator. Perfect for on the go. I don’t love using tubes of concealer because I always manage to squeeze way too much out and then have to waste the leftovers. Shop it here.
- Seven Saints – Jackson Rowe Knotty Tee – These front-knot tees are perfect for every day wear. They’re extremely soft and comfortable, and wash really well too. I picked them up in navy and dark hunter green because it’s perfect to wear out and about or at home with the kids.
- Beautycounter – Cream Blush – This cream blush in hibiscus gives my cheeks LIFE! It’s colour intense but a little goes a long way and it’s also long-lasting. I love that I can use it on my lips too. The design and packaging is thicker and bigger than lipstick but I love that it’s compact (no brush required) and I can take it on the go. Shop it here.
- Beautycounter – Nourishing Cream Cleanser – I was using a Burt’s Bees face wash prior to trying Beautycounter’s Nourishing Cream Cleanser. This one is a real game changer, people!! It’s not drying and it doesn’t strip your skin because it doesn’t have the harsh surfactants and sulfates like other brands use. It’s creamy versus soapy but actually washes away all the dirt and impurities that buildup throughout the day. Shop it here.
- Beautycounter – Tint Skin Foundation – I LOVE LOVE LOVE this foundation if you’re looking for a good one. I wear linen. It’s lightweight, goes on evenly and blends into your skin tone for an effortless and more natural look. Great to use before an event, photos, parties, or even for every day if you like to wear foundation to work for a more smooth finished look. It comes in 10 shades…shop it here.
- Routine Cream – Like a Boss – Deodorant is one of the top offenders when it comes to toxic chemicals and heavy metals entering your body. It can cause severe problems to your nervous system and negative effects to your reproductive and endocrine system, and can even lead to cancer cell growth. Ingredients you want to steer clear from are: parabens, aluminum, triclosan, phthalates, and fragrance…so READ those labels! I was using PiperWai (as seen on Shark Tank), an activated charcoal natural deodorant, but it wasn’t really working for me and I didn’t love how it applied and how it settled. I found it a bit messy and with my hormones all over the place between pregnancy and postpartum I needed something that would work. My girlfriend had been raving about Routine Cream for two years so I finally decided to give another natural deodorant a try; my only regret is not trying it sooner. People, this is the answer! Routine Cream is actually a non-toxic deodorant that works! Trust me, I was the biggest skeptic. My favourite one that they carry is Like a Boss with clay and beeswax ingredients and smells like geranium, rosemary, and mandarin. Some other favourites are Johnny’s Cash, Napoleon’s Dynamite, and a Girl Named Sue. But, if you’re not sure what scent will work for you and you don’t want to commit, you could try purchasing their mini kits with 4 – 5 in a pack. You could also split them up between your gym bag, purse, travel bag and keep one in your bathroom. For those new to shopping at Well.ca, use code ‘tsg18‘ for 10% off your order of $40 if you shop it through Well.ca.
- Seven Saints – Jackson Rowe Girlfriend Tee – This is a super soft and comfortable oversized/relaxed fit girlfriend tee. I have it in colour brick and it’s great either lounging around the house in sweats, leggings, or even paired with jeans and a blazer for a more put together look. I wash it inside out on delicate and hang to dry! Shop it at Seven Saints using code ‘theshopguide15‘ for 15% off your order online or in-store.
Let me know if you’ve tried any of these products in the comments below! Would love to hear how you like them.